Monday, January 16, 2012

Christmas Cards Kept Me Busy

 Hi!  Sorry I've been away from the blogging scene for awhile!  I'm not sure how many people actually check up on our blog but for those of you who do, sorry for my lack of posting at the end of 2011 and at the beginning of 2012.

I always seem to get away from blogging when we have company or when we're off visiting family.  This two month absence from the blogosphere was due to more than having company and visiting family; this long hiatus was mostly caused by making my own Christmas cards (for the fourth year in a row).

I've always had a passion for crafting (especially paper crafts).  So, when Joe and I were married in 2007, I put my passion to good use and handmade our first family Christmas cards.  It was a huge undertaking, but truly a joy for me (and hopefully for those who received the cards).  Each year I tell myself (and Joe) that I'm going to create a simpler design or stop hand making them altogether.  However, when December comes again, I find myself back to work creating cards at the dining room table.  

People have asked me why I don't just order a picture card online.  I have often wondered that myself.  It would certainly save time, and some years it might even save money.  For now, I guess I just love the idea of creating something (that I think is) beautiful that our family and friends can enjoy throughout the Christmas season.  I've always loved getting snail mail and especially Christmas cards, so I like to bring others that joy in the same fashion.  I think it's my way of gift giving during the Christmas season.  Below are a few of my cards from past years... I think this year's card was perhaps the most tedious!  The first three photos were taking while assembling this year's card... just to prove that there was quite a process involved.  I was most impressed with my solution to all the plastic baggies in Picture A.  See Picture B.  I used an empty egg carton to hold at least 12 of the different pieces I needed for each card.  

Picture A: All the pieces for the 85+ cards

Picture B: Finally, an organized system.

Picture C: Taken by Joe... of me making cards

Christmas 2007
Christmas 2008
Inside of the card: Christmas 2008
Christmas 2010
All of the Christmas cards from past years, except for 2009
Inside of the card for Christmas 2011
Christmas 2011
I did make a card for Christmas 2009, the year I was newly pregnant with Evelyn (and super sick), but I didn't make any extras that year, so I have no record of it!   Apparently, I was also too sick to take a picture of them before I mailed them out!

Anyway, that's a long way of explaining where I've been the last few months.  Evelyn's up from her nap now, so I'll have to get to the other posts about our visits with family and friends this evening! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment